3-bedroom, 3-bathroom stone farmhouse (150 m sq) with an acre of gardens – 90mins from Paris by train
Situated an hour’s drive south of the Loire Valley in the peaceful countryside near Angles Sur L’Anglin, this 3-bedroom home forms one side of a delightful south-facing courtyard of traditional stone buildings – all part of the property. The main house offers a blend of modern and old-world charm, voluminous rooms and lots of natural light, cozy corners, original character features and exposed beams, a mature English cottage garden with hundreds of named roses and perennials tucked away deep in the countryside. The property is located 30 miles from Poitiers with its international airport, and is within easy access of both Paris and London. Ideal for anyone wanting to escape city life and acquire a small holding.
The Main House consists of:
- Bedroom 1 – (4x6m) – with ensuite bathroom and free-standing tub + bidet; custom-made solid oak vanity unit with double sinks. Morso woodburner.
- Bedroom 2 – (6x6m) – with ensuite bathroom and free-standing tub + bidet; custom-made solid oak vanity unit with double sinks.
- Bedroom 3 – (5x6m) – stunning volume with floods of natural light – double doors opening on to the garden. Large open fireplace and exposed beams.
- Shower room + bidet (2.5×2.5m)
- Fitted Kitchen (5x3m)
- Dining room (4x6m)
- Living Room with woodburning stove (5x6m)
- Boiler / Laundry room (Viessman boiler, water softener, washer/dryer)
- Mains water; central heating with a Viessman Vitodens 222 combi-boiler
The house has undergone extensive and complete renovation (new electrics and plumbing) and includes Bosch and Smeg kitchen appliances, Roca bath and sink taps in all bathrooms, Morso and Dovre high-efficiency woodburners, a new septic tank and filter bed to accommodate further renovation and expansion, double-glazed windows and doors throughout. Audio / Cat5 cabling extend to every room; 4G wifi is available in the area and accessible in the house (typically 50MB downloads). The handmade terracotta floor tiles are sourced locally and fabricated in the local traditional method (wood-fired) dating back to the 18th century. Lovely far-reaching views from the northern boundary of the property. The house looks out onto a small wooded area to the west. Various outbuildings provide scope for expansion and further renovation possibilities.
The property is located on a very quiet, seldomly-travelled rural road in the Commune of St Pierre de Maillé
Separate Apartment consists of:
- 1 bedroom + kitchen or 2 bedrooms – you to decide
- New plumbing lines for future bathroom
- New ceiling, insulation and velux skylights
- Double-glazed doors and windows
- New electric wiring
- Exposed stone walls
- A beautiful blank canvas to which you can add your creative details
The property also has extra buildings to renovate for further expansion possibilities :
- Small 2-storey stone house (water + elec already connected)
- Large stone barn
The property is located very near to major transport hubs:
- Chatellerault TGV station: 20mins drive (with direct trains to Paris, London, Tours, Bordeaux)
- Poitiers airport: 45mins drive (direct flights to London, Lyon, Marseilles, Manchester, Porto)
- Tours airport: 60mins drive (direct flights to London, Lyon, Porto, Dublin, Marakesh, Ajaccio)
- Limoges airport: 90mins drive (direct flights to everywhere)
The department of the Vienne in the Poitou-Charentes belongs to the ancient land of Aquitaine (now Nouvelle Aquitaine) and once held by Eleanor of Aquitaine, Queen of England and France. The landscape is gentle and characterised by rolling hills, rivers, fields of sunflowers, forests, ancient castles and stone villages, abbayes and churches. The Poitou-Charentes region is largely untouched by industry, is steeped in history and is the birthplace of Cognac – goat cheese, saffron, walnuts, melons, macarons, and the delicious Pineau de Charentes are also typical products of the region. The Atlantic beaches of this region are France’s second sunniest (after the Côte d’Azure).
The closest village to the property is St Pierre de Maillé at 4km distance, there you’ll find everything a small pretty village has to offer: old stone houses, bakery, post office, church, mairie, grocery, school, restaurant, bar, and an ancient mill on the river Gartempe. Saint Peter’s International College for boys will soon open its doors in the historic heart of the village.
- Angles Sur L’Anglin – classed as One of the Most Beautiful Villages in France (7 mins drive)
- La Roche Posay – thermal town famed for natural healing waters high in selenium, spas for leisure and medicinal skin treatments, and a casino (15 mins drive)
- Chauvigny – the Saturday market in the town square is not to be missed (20mins drive)
- Saint Savin – stunning UNESCO World Heritage Site (20mins drive)
- Parc Naturel de la Brenne (20mins drive)
- Richelieu – the town of the Cardinal (40mins drive)
- Futuroscope (40mins drive)
- Poitiers – capital of Romanesque architecture (45mins drive)
- Vinyards of the Haut-Poitou (50mins drive)
- Loches (50mins drive)
- Tours (1hr drive)
- The Chateaux of the Loire Valley – including Villandry, Chenonceau and Azay-le-Rideau (all with easy driving distance, 1hr+ drive)
- The Marais Poitevin (90min drive) – rent a small boat upon arrival to truly understand why this is a really rather remarkable place!
- La Rochelle and the sea (2hrs drive)
- Bordeaux & St Emillion (2.5 hrs drive)
Please contact via email: firstname.lastname@example.org